We all know that celery is healthy, and we all use it for making salads or cooking our favorite dishes. It makes everything taste better and improves the nutrient content of any meal. However, most of you probably never heard that you can make a refreshing celery juice as well and that it is one of the healthiest drinks you can have.
For this reason, we have decided to inform you about all the health benefits of celery and teach you how to make celery juice. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!
Why Is Celery Juice Good For You?
Fresh celery is definitely one of the healthiest and most powerful vegetables you can eat. It is rich in folic acid which is especially important for pregnant women and proper baby development. It is also rich in potassium which regulates blood pressure and vitamins A and K.
Low in calories and high in fiber and flavor it is a great addition to savory meals or sweet juices but it also transforms your digestion and speeds up your metabolism at the same time. Constipation and bloating will be a thing of past. There are numerous other health benefits of celery such as:
● Anti-inflammatory properties – Celery is sure to aid those who suffer from autoimmune conditions and relieve the symptoms of Migraines, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vertigo, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Guillain-Barre, Meniere’s, Raynaud’s, GERD, Sarcoidosis, IBS, Bursitis, Restless Leg Syndrome, and Gout. It can also help those who have skin problems related to psoriasis, eczema, or acne.
● Purifying the bloodstream – This is due to compounds called coumarins which boost the white blood cells activity and thus support the whole vascular system but also relax the nerves and reduce high blood pressure.
● Preventing the acidosis and acid reflux – Moreover, as celery is strongly alkaline it can also help relieve the joint pain, tingles, and numbness, muscle cramps, ringing in ears, fatigue, dizziness, and heartburn.
● Diuretic properties – It helps flush the harmful toxins out of your body and once again aids the loss of the extra weight you might have. The puffiness will disappear, and you will look not only slimmer but also more beautiful as the eye bags are sure to vanish as well.
● Hydrates your body – This property makes it ideal to drink in the morning, or even better as soon as you wake-up, as your body was without water during your sleeping time.
● Balances the pH – It is very important to have an optimal pH of your blood in order to stay healthy.
● Balances the hydrochloric acid – As it balances stomach acid it is important for gut health. Furthermore, as we grow older the amount of hydrochloric acid in our stomach is reduced, and our body cannot absorb all the nutrients it needs to keep energized and stay healthy- this is where celery comes in to help.
● Anti-cancer properties – We all know how serious and widespread this vicious disease has become and how important it is to try to stay healthy. Celery is rich in antioxidants, apigenin, luteolin, quercetin, and kaempferol. These compounds fight-off the cancer cells and help you in prevention of this horrible disease.
● Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases – A we already mentioned, celery is rich in potassium which reduces the high blood pressure. However, celery also contains phthalides which relax the artery walls and reduce the risk of a heart attack or a stroke.
● Detoxifies your body – Celery cleanses both the liver and the kidneys which will make your skin radiant and your organs thankful.
● Anti-age properties – The flavonoids celery is rich in will help you keep that young look everyone strives for nowadays. It is believed to prevent wrinkles or reduce the existing ones.
How And When To Drink Celery Juice
As we have already suggested, due to the high water content celery juice is a great drink to enjoy first thing in the morning. It will help you kick off your day with more energy as it will get your body rehydrated and pack it up with nutrients and antioxidants you need to get you through all the daily activities.
Although many nutritionists recommend dark leafy greens, they can cause some digestion problems, and thus celery makes a better choice. You can drink as much as you want and you will not experience any negative side effects. We recommend having a glass of celery juice a few times a week first thing in the morning.
If you grow to love it, it will do you no harm to have a dose of celery juice every morning, quite the opposite, you will surely feel better and more energized.
If, however, you try the celery juice and do not like the taste or simply find it too strong and overwhelming for you, you can add other fruit or vegetable juices, but we will tell you more about that later on.
There is always an option to use the celery juice in your salads or soups instead of drinking it. In combination with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice it will make a great salad dressing in the summer. The celery juice becomes even better for you when it is combined with healthy fats like olives or nuts as the nutrients become more bioavailable.
How To Make Celery Juice
Making the celery juice at your home is not a difficult task, especially if you have the right equipment. We personally prefer preparing the celery juice in the juicer, but you can also use popular high-speed blenders such as Nutribullet or Vitamix- just do not forget to add some water. We personally feel that celery juice made in the blender has to be strained- but you can drink it as is if you like it that way.
To make the celery juice, you will need one bunch of celery (that will be enough for about 16 oz of juice). It is best to opt for organic celery if you can find it, as it will not contain any harmful substances and will be more beneficial for your overall health.
Preparation steps to follow:
1. Wash the celery thoroughly- we personally leave it soaked for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
2. Prepare your juicer or high-speed blender and follow the instructions to determine the speed and time needed to juice the celery.
3. Run the bunch of celery through the juicer or blend it with some icy water in your blender.
4. Drink or use it immediately if you want to experience all the health benefits we have mentioned before.
Three Best Recipes For Celery Juice Recipes
It is best to drink celery juice on its own, but some people do not like the flavor and need to alter it somewhat in order not to start avoiding this healthy drink altogether. Celery contains a high amount of natural salts which give it a strong taste that needs some time getting used to.
You can avoid such an issue by diluting the celery juice with some fresh cucumber juice, by adding lemon juice, or by following one of our other two favorite celery juice mixes. Let us first start with the cucumber and lemon combo:
Refreshing And Splashing
Our first recipe, as you already know, involves cucumber, lemon and, of course, the vegetable of the day- celery! The combination of the three will refresh you even on the hottest day but also help you to detoxify and de-puff your body.
You will need:
● One bunch of celery
● Two cucumbers
● One peeled lemon
The preparation process:
Wash the celery and cucumber (you can peel the cucumber if you prefer it that way). Use the juicer to make a healthy juice for two persons. Drink it ASAP, or it will oxidize and lose valuable nutrients.
Hydration Of The Day
When you wake up, you need to hydrate your body as quickly as possible so that it can wake up with you and be able to perform all the daily tasks. Our second recipe will hydrate you super-fast and has a great summery taste too.
You will need:
● Four ounces of coconut water
● Four celery stalks
● One cucumber
● One lime
The preparation process:
Start by washing all the produce. Next, juice the celery, cucumber, and lime in your juicer. Add the coconut water and stir until all the juices blend well. Drink the juice right away, or it will oxidize.
Vitamin A Booster
If you need to take more vitamin A, this juice is the right choice for you. This juicy delight does not only taste good but also has a bright orange color that your kids will be drawn to. It is a great source of various vitamins and minerals as well.
You will need:
● Three carrots
● Half of the cucumber
● One apple
● Two celery stalks
The preparation process:
Once again, start by thoroughly washing all the produce. Peel the carrots and cut off their ends. Run all the produce through your juicer and serve and drink the fresh juice right away.
Extra Tips On How To Make Celery Juice
➢ If possible go organic! This will aid you in avoiding the toxic pesticides and help keep you and your family healthy.
➢ Avoid sugar by all means! In essence, this means that you should not add any sugar, but also that you should avoid using the sweeter fruits with high sugar content as well.
➢ Consume all fresh juices immediately! When left to wait, in contact with air fresh vegetable and fruit juices begin to oxidize and thus lose the precious nutritional value and health benefits
Should You Make The Celery Juice Or Buy It?
Besides being quite difficult to find in local stores, the celery juice you buy will never be the same as the one you make at your home. If you do not own a juicer and cannot invest in one at the moment, you can use a blender, or borrow the needed appliances from your neighbors- it is a great way to socialize more too!